As of January new 5,000 and 10,000 kwanza banknotes are due to go into circulation in Angola, the governor of the National Bank of Angola said.
José Massano said that authorisation for the new banknotes had been granted in June.
Massano also noted that the decision to put more banknotes into circulation was due to the government drive to popularise the use of the kwanza, which is used alongside the US dollar for transactions.
Angola currently has 2,000, 1,000, 100, 50, 10, and 5 kwanza banknotes in circulation. (macauhub)
- New bank notes and coins due to go into circulation in Angola in 2013
- Mozambique’s new banknotes and coins will no longer include the word “Popular”
- New Mozambican currency in circulation as of January 1
- Head of Banco de Moçambique urges more care with banknotes
- New foreign exchange regime for the oil sector in Angola increases cash in circulation