Lichinga, Mozambique, 27 Dec – Reconstruction of the railroad between Lichinga and Cuamba, in Mozambique’s Niassa province, requires investment of US$110 million, said the replacement of the provincial director for Transport and Communications.
Cited by the Mozambican press, Lucas Joane noted that the current state of the railway line made it impossible for the train to travel along it regularly and was having a negative effect on goods transport between the two cities.
Joane also said that a survey had been made of the state of repair of the railroad and the Ministry for Transport and Communications had concluded that there was no budget to repair it.
Joane said that in 2011 the central government would seek out funding for refurbishment of the line.
From January to October last some 4,170 tons of various cargo was transported between the two cities, as compared to 658 tons in the same period of 2009. (macauhub)
- Mozambique: Reconstruction work on Nacala-Lichinga railroad continues
- Train services resume between Cuamba and Lichinga in northern Mozambique
- Lichinga-Cuamba road in Mozambique to cost US$244 million
- Mozambique: Reconstruction of Cuamba-Lichinga still awaiting feasibility study
- Mozambique: Reconstruction of railroad between Nacala and Malawi to cost US$18 million